Bored with the same old salad? Why not take a look in the garden and see if there’s anything there you can add to make it a bit more interesting?
Here’s a list of stuff that you can use:
- Chickweed: Grow profusely in most gardens, especially if the soil’s moist. The leaves are tasty and definitely add interest to the salad.
- Chives: Sew some seeds in a pot and you’ll soon have enough to add to salads all summer. These have an onion like taste.
- Clover: Who doesn’t have that growing in the lawn? Both the leaves and the flowers can be used in salads and taste vaguely of honey.
- Nasturtiums: Again, use both the flowers and the leaves. Have a peppery taste.
- Pansies: Yes, the flowers are edible! And they certainly add colour to the salad as well as being a talking point.
- Wild Garlic: Use fresh, young leaves.
- Dandelion: Only use the young leaves – mature leaves are bitter! Dandelion leaves will actually help flush out toxins in the body.
There are probably more but they’re the ones I know about. Maybe you know of more?
Not only will they make your salad more interesting, they’re also as frugal as you can get… FREE!