Sunday 2 March 2008

Mothering Sunday


Today is Mothering Sunday, or Mother’s Day as it’s more commonly known these days, and the sun is shining from a clear blue sky.

Always celebrated on the fourth Sunday in Lent since the 16th century, Mothering Sunday has long been the day where we give thanks to our mothers for everything they’ve done for us during the year.

Back in the days of big houses with servants, the lady of the house would often allow the maids to take a cake, a basket of eggs or a bunch of flowers from the garden home to their mothers. Eventually, flowers became the traditional gift to give on Mother’s Day. Daffodils were the favourites because even when Mother’s Day came earlier, as it has this year, there was still a good chance they’d be in bloom. It was also customary to bake a Simnel Cake although these have become more associated with Easter nowadays.

My mum was sent her annual bunch of Daffs for delivery this morning – a big bunch of 50 golden blooms that I know will have brought a huge smile to her face. No doubt they'll be in vases all around the living room. Daffs and Gladioli are her favourites. She's a wonderful woman who taught me lots about values, budgeting, and how important it is to be true to yourself. Even today she's the first person I turn to for advice.

I remember when I was little, our local church used to give the children a little bunch of flowers to take home to their mothers. Whether or not they still do that I don’t know. It was a lovely tradition though.

But, like everything else, consumerism eventually took over and now the shops are bursting with cards that sing, are two foot tall, and that pop up and jump out at you. We’re expected to buy boxes of chocolates, expensive bouquets, teddy bears, jewellery, perfume and anything else that could possibly be marketed as being something mum would love. Then once we’ve bought the card and present we’re told that we should take her out to dinner or at least buy her a bottle of wine and make a nice dinner at home. Phew! Whatever happened to that simple bunch of Daffodils?

I haven't been downstairs yet so I've no idea whether DD2 has done anything to mark mother's day. It would be nice if she'd cleaned downstairs but I shan't hold my breath. DD1 won't have remembered; Mother's Day falls later in the year in Norway. DS will be phoning later. He can't actually talk but as I know his 'sound expressions' well, we're able to have a short conversation of sorts. Mum will help 'translate'. DD3 (my surrogate daughter) was going to bring a card round but I'm too weak to an 18 month old baby here at the moment. It's a shame because I'd love to see him, but I have to think of my health. Breakfast in bed would be nice but I think DD2 has gone to work.

I neither need nor want fancy presents and expensive cards; I just want to know that I’ve been thought of. And should any of them forget, well that’s no big deal either. It’s the little things they do throughout the year that really tell me I’m loved and appreciated, not a card or present that they feel obliged to buy.

Sharon J xx

~~+~~


Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Lala!! said...

Hi!

Hope the day worked out well for you Sharon.

Chris

happyhippychick said...

I have always given my mum a simple bunch of daffs too... this year as we are on opposite sides of the country I posted a fiver to my sister (who lives very close by) for her to get some on my behalf. Unfortunately I completely forget my sister and her family are on holiday in Austria... doh! Still, I rang mum and she is looking forward to having her daffs next week instead!

I so agree with you about how this day has become overtaken by marketing - I sent a simple card (and got it there on time for once!) and phoned and mum was just as happy, if not more so than if I had spent a stash of cash, in fact I think she would have worried that I was wasting money if I had splashed out too much, after all, as she says each Christmas and birthday she has everything she needs now and really doesn't need 'token' presents that she wouldn't use cluttering up her house, whereas a plain bunch of daffs brighten her life, bring a smile to her day and show that I am thinking of her

(I'll shut up rambling now!)

Rx

Sharon J said...

Thanks Chris. DD2 had completely forgotten it was Mother's Day but did a frantic attempt at cleaning the house as my gift once she realised :)

As they say, Rae, it's the thought that counts. You thought of your mum, you just didn't think of your sister being Austria which is just the sort of thing that would happen to me!