Somebody once said that affluence creates poverty. Our greedy over-consumption causes suffering amongst millions.
- Around 30,000 children die EVERY DAY from hunger.
- It would take just 1% of what the world spends on weapons to put EVERY child into school, but still 72 million children ARE NOT being educated.
- Every SECOND child in the world is living in poverty.
- ONE IN THREE children have NO adequate shelter.
- EVERY YEAR the same number of children die worldwide as there are children in the UK.
- ONE IN SIX families live in SLUM conditions.
- TWENTY percent of the world’s population are responsible for more than SEVENTY FIVE percent of the total consumption.
Our crimes - their suffering.
This blogpost was written as a contribution to Blog Action Day. More than 9,000 bloggers worldwide have joined together to raise awareness of poverty and the issues related to it.