Wednesday 10 December 2008

Was It The Fog?


As most of you know, LM and I were supposed to be heading for Malta on the afternoon of Saturday 29th November. We were at the airport bright and early and thought all would be fine and dandy - as you do.

The first problem I encountered was that I had to pay for two of my three boxes of medical supplies. Granted, they’re rather large boxes but they’re vitally important and I can’t travel without them yet even though I told the check-in clerk that I’d been able to take them free of charge last time I’d flown with EasyJet and that when I booked I informed the lady on the phone that there were three of them and she told me they’d be carried free, still I had to pay. Apparently, they’ll only carry one box free. Granted it was only £12 a box but even so, I really don’t think I ought to have been made to pay when I wasn’t informed beforehand. Had I been, then I’d have had my home-care company pack everything into one box.

Anyway, that out of the way, we made our way to the gate and along with a couple of hundred other passengers, we looked forward to sunshine and warmth. Boarding time came and went… no plane. Delayed because of fog, apparently. Strange considering other flights were coming and going but we figured it wouldn’t be long. Wrong! Several hours later we finally got on a plane only to be told by the crew that they’d had to land in Leeds (this was in Manchester) because they hadn’t had enough fuel to circle while they waited for a pocket in the fog. The delay meant they’d be going into overtime and while they’d agreed to follow the flight anyway, for an extra £100 each, EasyJet had declined, offering them a measly £30 each instead. Needless to say, they’d refused.

We were then told that a new crew would be waiting at Gatwick where we’d land for a crew change before finally heading for Malta. Fair enough - we could deal with that. Did it happen, though? Did it heck! Apparently they couldn’t raise a crew that were trained on that particular aircraft so off we got again only to be told that the flight had been cancelled and we’d have to spend the night in an airport hotel.

Now that doesn’t sound too bad on the face of it, but for me it meant not being able to feed and that again means no fluids. I can eat and drink until I’m blue in the face y’see and it doesn’t do a blind bit of good. My nutrition and liquids have to be pumped directly into my veins. And we all know that flying dehydrates us, don’t we? I’d already be dehydrated before I boarded the plane so I can’t say it was a flight I was looking forward to. But I was determined to get to Malta - I needed that sun for a vitamin D top up as well as actually getting away from freezing for a while (I feel the cold something horrendous due to my condition) so we were up before five the next morning and checking in at six for a flight leaving just before eight.

Eight o’clock came and went - still no plane at the gate. Things were looking decidedly dodgy. Then, about half an hour later, as if by some miracle, a plane emerged out of the fog….




Having only had a few hours sleep and feeling decidedly dehydrated, when we finally got the hotel I just zonked out on the bed and didn’t wake up again until it was dark. LM and I jumped in the hire car and off we went, round Valletta and out into the countryside, taking tiny narrow lanes and having no clue where we were or where we were going. We enjoyed it and although poor LM had caught that dreadful bug that’s been going round and had her holiday somewhat ruined by it, she soldiered on and we had a good week.



I shall be contacting EasyJet to complain though. According to a lawyer who was on our flight, we’re entitled to compensation but whether or not we’ll get any is a different matter. It’s worth a try though.

Sharon J xx

~~+~~


Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Poor thing, I know it feels to be stranded waiting to go on holiday too!

If you had travel insurance I believe they do pay compensation for the delay in travelling.

Jen

Catz said...

Oh dear Sharon what a shame! I hope you recover asap. At least you got to the sun shine finally. Fingers crossed you get that compensation.

Teena said...

What a bummer! But I bet the sunshine was worth the trouble you had? God I missed you.
xoxoxoxo

Sharon J said...

@ Jennifer. I'm now waiting for a confirmation letter from EasyJet explaining why the flight was delayed and by how long so that I can claim on my insurance. Apparently I can get £200 back.

@ Catz. Yes, at least I got some sunshine and I really noticed what a difference it made to my energy levels.

@ Cabbage Heart. Oh yes, I'd do it all over again if it meant a week in the sun :)

Anonymous said...

[p]We are manufacturers and [url=http://www.fashionhermesbagsuk.co.uk]hermes bags kelly[/url] sellers of these top quality replica watches,we can provide you cheap rolex with factory price and the best quality products . At that time, Jean Louis Dumas happened to meet french celebrity Jane Birkin who whine to the president that she could not find the outstanding [url=http://www.springhermeshandbags.co.uk]cheap hermes handbags birkin[/url] manual however helpful major handbag . Females are often the goal of the style [url=http://www.fashionhermesbagsuk.co.uk]discount hermes bags kelly[/url] market . Unitary and only Hermes scarf is seemly to construct some second-rate clothing

Entering the important speaking, it dons an good headmaster thirteen hours to complete the wholly subroutine of [url=http://www.springhermeshandbags.co.uk]hermes handbags kelly uk[/url] a Buy hermes birkin Kelly bag . There are several handbag [url=http://www.fashionhermesbagsuk.co.uk]hermes belts women


[/url] stores over the web . Besides the classic Mulberry brand style, the new line features brighter colors, more functional [url=http://www.fashionhermesbagsuk.co.uk]hermes bags birkin on sale[/url] small pockets, lighter weight and other details . Both Kelly and Birkin [url=http://www.springhermeshandbags.co.uk]Hermes handbags UK [/url] are articles made to order . Kelly case functions [url=http://www.fashionhermesbagsuk.co.uk]discount hermes bags[/url] solitary deal with and it is outfitted that has a make bracelet.[/p]

Anonymous said...

[p]Along with on the most outstanding headphone options and components, Is better than can uncover the entire appear cheap beats studio of the electric songs . Various kinds of Beats Exclusive edition studio headphones on the one hand we have high expectations . These $150 earphones offer a secure fit, integrated iPhone controls, and a sleek look篓Cbut they隆炉re also pricey for workout headphones, and they don隆炉t seem particularly durable or sweat-resistant . We reported this new partnership, but the details weren隆炉t quite firmed up yet . Gaga exploded onto the global cultural landscape this season . One of the clubs they hit along the way was London隆炉s infamous Rose Club and they absolutely tore it down . If we do not soon comprehend the connection between press and learning, if we have not made such a connection, this technological innovation may be used mainly for entertaining operas and online purchase of consumer products . The Monster Beats cn be collapsed nicely nd m wth nice protective situation to shop t in; yu wn隆炉t be damaging tht good shiny glossy sleek seem of th headphone . Exactly what the planet is really useful to talk would be most important exceptional real [url=http://www.hdbeatsbydre.co.uk]beats by dre uk[/url] transmitter.[/p][p]Read more:Beats By Dre Headphones . Dr Dre Music enriches the really worth of the music through allowing the client to pay attention the music within deep bass and low frequency sounds extreme clearly . I . These batteries will [url=http://www.hdbeatsbydre.co.uk]beats by dre headphones[/url] drain over time, causing you to replace its batteries in the future . If you like it very low, it is your [url=http://www.hdbeatsbydre.co.uk]beats by dr dre headphones[/url] choice . Last week隆炉s [url=http://www.hdbeatsbydre.co.uk]beats by dr dre[/url] rumours suggested a smartphone codenamed Vigor would be first to bear the Beats by Dr Dre name . They come in a very cool box and they have [url=http://www.hdbeatsbydre.co.uk]beats by dre headphones uk[/url] a lot of neat features as well . You might achieve a great profound by means of surpasses simply by dre headsets.[/p]